My name is Debs and I am a writer, traveller and fitness-goer from the UK.
I began this blog back in 2013 as a means of talking about my international backpacking adventures. Travel changed my life – it brought me more confidence, happiness and independence than I can say. I wanted to share my stories and advice as a means of encouraging others to embark on their own travel dreams.
However, I quickly realised two very important things:
- I did not want to travel forever, and I would have to figure out how to be happy in the ordinary, routine and everyday. Not only that, but not all of my readers can go travelling and they will be figuring out the answers to the same questions themselves.
- I wanted to talk about more than travel. I am not just a backpacker. Among many other things, I am also a politics enthusiast, fitness addict and cat lover. From recipes, to travel advice, to fitness motivation, to in-depth personal topics (such as mental health and body image), there is much to be found in my corner of the internet.
So what does Deborah Bazeley Wanderlust have to offer you?
- Fun and creative stories about life, love and adventure.
- Conversations and advice about well-being and healthy living. (I am a personal fan of flexible dieting and weightlifting.)
- Inspiration and motivation to make your far-off dreams a reality, whether that’s starting a business or planning a Round The World trip.
- Practical travel advice and information, including my First Time Backpacker series designed specially for those who are just starting out on their journeys. (Solo female travel is also highly championed here!)
- Realisation that you can bring change to your everyday life – you don’t always have to buy a plane ticket to find happiness!
So, settle down with a cup of tea and join me for a chat!
A writer and Political Science graduate hailing from the Devon countryside in the UK, Deborah is a twenty five year old who has just returned home after a two-year-long Round The World Trip.
Beginning in May 2013, despite having huge reservations about leaving Merry and Pippin (her two ragdoll cats) behind, she made the jump to travel by herself through Brazil, Bolivia, Peru, New York, California and Fiji.
Deborah then lived in New Zealand for 12 months where she hitch hiked across the country, attempted to snowboard, and climbed mountains. Working as a housekeeper she learned how to make beds within two minutes, a skill that she still proudly uses to this day.
Towards the end of 2014 Deborah moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she worked as a freelance writer and farm worker. She remains confused by both Melbourne’s ever-changing weather and the Aussie’s preference for “pots” and “schooners” over pints.
Deborah loves the outdoors and hiking, drinks dark beer, enjoys dancing and yoga, eats far too many Nerds Ropes, adores live music. She also has a keen interest in marketing (she currently works as a freelance social media manager and content writer), and is excited to pursue new careers and horizons in the UK.