Many people are getting into the swing of 2016, whilst some of us are, er, slightly lagging behind.
Either way, all we know is that we’ve eaten at least three Terry’s chocolate oranges, and devoured an entire box of After Eights and downed a bottle of Baileys within the hour; the gyms are crowded and uninviting; and kale is still stiff and unappetising.
Some people are screaming “New Year, New Me!”, but let us politely punch those people in the face and get on with more practical matters such as negotiating who gets the last Matchstick.
Having said all that, a small dose of motivation and inspiration never hurt anyone, so I thought that I would take a look around for some useful tips, tricks and web links to help get you in the right frame of mind for 2016.
- If you’re like me and can’t really afford yoga classes, try out these basic yoga poses by Tree Limin Extreme in the comfort (and safety) of your own home.
- The Star Wars memes that will get you started on your fitness journey.
- It’s all well and good getting on the treadmill, but it’s equally important to break away from body hate.
- Think that you’ll turn into a man if you lift weights? You won’t, I promise. Here’s why.
- How to keep your fitness resolutions by Cupcakes and Life.
- Healthy chocolate, banana, peanut butter and chia protein shake (vegan and gluten free) by GemmaPriceUK.
- Stop the food guilt! Hop over to Carys’ beautiful blog for recipes and lifestyle tips.
- Quick tips on how to spot healthier foods on the go.
- Heroine in Heels has a list of healthy restaurants in London for those who want to socialise without sacrificing their New Year’s detox.
- Quick reasons why you should be eating bananas.
- What happens when you drink honey with warm water every morning. (I’m now going to be trying this!)
- Everyone on the internet has been raving about Happiness Jars. The same principle can also be applied to gratitude jars.
- Check out the easy-to-use meditation app, Headspace.
- The lovely Kajal talks on her blog about meditation and how to create your own meditation practice.
- “Let’s imagine, for a moment, a 2016 that does not involve Netflix marathons and an entire bag of pizza rolls masquerading as “self-care.” What if, instead of staying up too late and spending all day slouched over my desk, I got enough sleep? What if I moved my body more? What if my year was less overwhelming?” – take a look at this blog post about self-care by Yes and Yes.
- I’m still loving Marie Forleo’s interview of Elizabeth Gilbert, the author of Eat, Pray, Love. It’s a wonderful pick-me-up discussing creativity, fear and authenticity. Settle down with a cup of tea and enjoy.
- 8 female travel bloggers share their stories and what their top resolutions for the new year are. Great article if you’re looking for travel inspiration (especially for my fellow solo female travellers!)
- The NYTimes has some nifty trips for travelling more cheaply.
- Win £200 by submitting your top backpacking experience to the Guardian. Deadline is 13 January.
- Get creative with this adult travel colouring book, ‘Travel Between The Lines’.
- Tami has some awesome advice about how to talk to your loved ones about your upcoming travel plans.
- Does your health take a nose dive when you travel? I know mine does! Read this article about how to stay fit whilst travelling.
Thank you so much to all of the bloggers and vloggers who continue to provide inspirational content for us all, and may your week ahead be filled with nutritious meals, sweaty workouts and travel planning!
Do you have any New Year’s Resolutions this year or are you sticking to simple annual goals and aims? Leave a comment below!